25 February 1983

My Leprechaun

One day I was walking home when I heard tapping. I turned. The tapping continued, so I decided to follow it. I walked and walked. Then I realized I was late and should be home; but I still kept walking.

By now, the tapping seemed real loud. Maybe because there was music, too.

I bent down and peeked through the bushes. I saw leprechauns all over. They were dancing. I was so surprised, I almost fell over.

While I was looking around I happened to glance down. There sat a small leprechaun girl. I sat still for a while. Then I reached down and grabbed her. I looked at her. The little leprechaun was staring up at me with the cutest little eyes.

All the other leprechauns were looking at me, too, so I ran real fast out of the forest. I ran and ran until I was just about home. Then I sat down on a rock to rest. When I looked up, the leprechaun was gone. I sat down and cried. “Please come back. All I want is a freind,” I sobbed. I looked up. She was looking at me sympathetically. “I’ll be your freind,” she said. I was so happy, I ran home.

The next morning I got up at 5:00 so I could have lots of time with my leprechaun.

She sleeps in my old dollhouse. She said she likes it even if it’s a little small.

I played with Candy (that’s her name) for an hour. Then I had to get ready for school. I decided to take her to school with me because in her school they are studying human life.

In school, I got some kleenex and made a miniature chair for her. She wanted it to be right next to me on my desk. It didn’t take her long to change her mind when I told her what the kids would do if they saw her. We decided to have it in my ink well. One time the teacher just about caught her because I was playing with Candy and the teacher told me to bring what I was playing with to her desk. I quickly grabbed something out of my desk and braught it to her. I found out what I braught up to her was my sister’s favorite toy smurf.

After school, I said good-bye to Candy after I braught her to her home. We’ve been freinds ever since. I almost forgot. She got one hundred on her test about human life at her school.


What's Happening in the World
  • On the radio: Billie Jean (Michael Jackson), Do You Really Want To Hurt Me (Culture Club); final episode of M*A*S*H airs this week on TV
  • US prime lending rate drops to 10.5%, gas prices fall below a dollar nationwide, and Dow Jones reaches historic high
  • Hundreds of Muslims slaughtered by Hindus in Assam, India, in election-based violence
  • Cabbage Patch Kids and Care Bears debut at the annual Toy Fair in NYC