23 September 1982

The Day I got Chewed Up


Do you know how boring it is just sitting in a store, on a shelf, all wrapped up? Very boring. I think I’ll go talk to Tammy Bubble Yum.

“Hey, Tammy! It’s me, Jolie Hubba Bubba,” I said.

“Oh, hi. Did you hear what happened to Jimmy Freedent?” she said, “He got took away by some big thing. It was awful. It took off his wrappers and put him in a dark cave. Then these big white things started squishing him.”

“Well, I gotta go home and eat, so watch out for those big white things,” I said. I was walking home when this great big thing grabbed me and traded me to this other thing for a big silver thing. That thing put me in a dark cave. I wish I ran home instead of walking. Yuck! It’s wet in here. Now, the white things are coming. Squish!

“Help! Somebody! Please help! I wish I was home.” Squish!

“Can somebody please help?” Squish! I give up. Nobody can hear me in this place. Hey, there’s a tunnel! That’s too scary and wet to go down.

Now, the red rug’s moving! Hey! It’s pushing me out! I’m gonna fall and die! Plop! “Ouch!” Where is everybody? Are they alright? Those things are stepping on me. Here comes a big machine. Squish!

Now, I’m stuck on the tire. This is awful! Hey! This is kinda fun! It’s like a ferris wheel. What strange things! Oh, no! Now I fell off! Hey, there’s my home! Yay! Now only if somebody opens the door. That big thing is opening the door! I’d better hurry in. Hey, there’s Tammy and my mom and dad!

“Hi, Tammy!”

“Jolie, you’re still alive!”

“Yah. Hi, mom, hi, dad!”

“Hi,” mom said, “Oh, I missed you! I thought you were a gonner.”

“So did I,” dad said, “Welcome home.”

“I can’t wait to tell you about my adventures, everybody,” I said.


What's Happening in the World
  • Survivor's Eye of the Tiger tops charts, followed by John Cougar's Jack & Diane
  • Ronald Reagan is in his second year as President, the country is in a recession, and train engineers are on a nationwide strike
  • Ariel Sharon admits to Israel's role in the slaughter of Muslim refugees in Beirut at the hands of Christian militia
  • NYC's first-ever female firefighters are sworn in