31 October 1982

The Deserted House

It was Halloween. I was getting ready to go trick or treating. When I was ready, I grabbed my bag and went outside. It seemed spooky. As I walked along, I noticed the old, deserted house on the top of the hill.

Right then, a light switched on! I was sure someone moved in, so I went up and knocked. No answer.

All of a sudden, the door swung open! Boy, did I jump! There was nobody at the door, or was there? I went in to check. Jeepers, was it webbed up!

Just then, the door closed! I wished it was the wind. I went in the next room. It must be the kitchen, I thought.

The next room looked like a dining room. There was a small, square, table. Around it was four chairs. I was almost positive nobody lived in this place until I saw a sandwich sitting on the table. I looked around.

There, across the hall was a small, strange door. I walked over to it. I hezitated before I opened it.

There I saw a long stairway. I could see three bedrooms at the top of the stairway. I walked up the stairway to the first bedroom. All of a sudden, I heard a wicked cackle! Then a woman’s scream!

“Aaahhhh!”

I ran down the stairs so fast, I got a scar on my left knee by a chair. When I got to the door, it wouldn’t open! I looked around. Then I grabbed a chunk of wood. I tossed it at the window. I jumped out and ran home, as fast as I could!

The next thing I knew, I just woke up. I guessed I fell asleep when I got home. I went and told my mother what happened. She didn’t beleive me, but it’s true. I still have the scar.


What's Happening in the World
  • John Cougar's Jack & Diane tops charts, followed by Joe Cocker's Up Where We Belong and Men at Work's Who Can It Be Now?
  • Unemployment is at 10.1%, causing 16 million Americans to lose their health insurance
  • Lindy Chamberlain found guilty of murder in Australia, despite insistence that a dingo took her baby
  • John Paul II becomes first pope to visit Spain