25 December 1982

Santa’s Lost Suit

Bang, bang, boom! We’re all busy making Christmas toys, when Santa comes rushing through saying, “Oh dear, oh dear!” Nobody seemed to notice except me.

I’m his best helper. I help him with everything. Even delivering presents. My name is Helpful.

I followed him to the kitchen. He must not have noticed me, because he didn’t stop to explain like he usually does. I walked up. I asked what’s the matter. He quickly turned around, then said, “Oh! I’m sorry, but I didn’t notice you! Have you seen my suit? I must have misplaced it.”

“No, I haven’t. Hmm. Maybe you should try on a different suit.” So we went to the storage room. We dug up five suits. The first one was a swimming suit. It was to cold out to wear. The others were Halloween suits, which were too frightening.

Santa was sad for the rest of the day. All the elves tried to cheer him up. Nothing would cheer him up, I thought. By morning everybody had given up.

Just then, Mrs. Claus came home. She had a box in her hands. She walked up and gave it to Santa. “I had it cleaned at the cleaners,” she said. We all watched while he slowly opened it up.

When he saw what it was, his face lit up with joy. We had to see what it was! Right there, inside the box, was his suit! Right away he got it on while we put the toys in the sleigh.

Before he left, Mrs. Claus gave him a party, just a little one, for causing him to be worried. From that day on, Mrs. Claus always told Santa before she has it cleaned.

The End


What's Happening in the World
  • On the radio: The Girl is Mine (Michael Jackson), Maneater (Hall & Oates); at the cinema: The Dark Crystal, The Toy, Tootsie, 48 Hrs.
  • The FBI's computer is authorized to begin tracking people deemed potential threats
  • South Korea releases 1200 prisoners; the Rock of Gibraltar opens to pedestrians after a 13-year ban