5th Grade Story

My Surprise Birthday Present

Our family used to always seem poor; until a year ago.

My hobby is sending in contests. So, as usual, when I saw this sweepstakes in Monkey Magazine, I sent it in. First I had a deal to make with my parents. They got what ever I won if they bought ‘Sweetso’ cereal for a proof of purchase seal.

For the rest of the month it was boring. I got up, ate cereal, went to school, did school work, came home, did homework, ate supper, and went to bed. The same thing happened all the time except one day I missed the bus.

Then one day when I came home from school, I found my dad with tears in his eyes and a big and weird smile on his face, holding my fainted mother. If I didn’t know better, I’d think he went cuckoo and surprised my mother so bad, she fainted.

A half an hour later, I was writing a letter to the funny farm about my parents, when my dad came in my room. I quickly grabbed my letter and put it in my dresser drawer. By the way his eyes and smile looked when I came home, I was wondering if he was contageous.

“Jolie, look at this. We won one million dollars! Can you beleive that?!” said my dad.

It’s a week later and it’s almost my birthday. I haven’t fully recoverd from when my dad first told me about everything.

It’s the next day on my birthday. I went down stairs to go to the bathroom. When I went in the T.V. room to say good morning I didn’t like what I saw. There was a bunch of fancy-looking kids staring at me in my new nightgown and robe.

I just about left when I saw it. It was a robot. I went over to it and it started singing ‘Happy Birthday’. When it was done, it handed me a manuel on how to fix him if he gets busted.

Since I didn’t know if it was a girl or a boy, I called it Herman. For the rest of the year we played Super Pac-Man and other games until the day he blew a fuse. Poor Herman. Maybe someday I’ll be able to find another fuse. Who knows?